North Shore Historic Art


 Caroline Helena Armington (1875-1939)

Caroline Armington was born in Brampton, Ontario and first studied under J.W.L. Forster in Toronto, where she met her future husband, Frank Armington. In 1905 she moved to Paris and attended the Academie Julian and the Academie de la Grande Chaumiere under Henri Royer, E. Schommer and Paul Gervais. She returned to the Academie Julian in 1909 and began making etchings around this time. In 1910, the National Gallery of Canada purchased the first of many of her etchings, followed by two additional ones in 1911. Shortly thereafter, she and her husband, Frank, received a commission from the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) to create a series of etchings. Five of these were later donated to the British Museum. During World War One, she and Frank served with the American Ambulance Service in Paris, and Caroline was later commissioned to create etchings for the Canadian War Memorials collection. In 1922, she and Frank both contributed miniature etchings to Queen Mary’s Doll’s House. In 1929 the Armingtons had their first joint show at the Art Gallery of Toronto (currently the Art Gallery of Ontario). Caroline also had a solo show at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Her etchings are in countless international collections including CANADA: the National Gallery of Canada, the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, the National Archives in Ottawa, the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Art Gallery of Hamilton, the Art Gallery of Windsor, the Glenbow Museum in Calgary. UNITED STATES: the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Library of Congress, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City, the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, National Gallery of Art in Washington D.C. EUROPE: British Museum in London, Victoria and Albert Museum, the Musee du Louvre, the Bibliotheque Nationale, Musee Nationale d’Art Moderne and many more.  

 

Exhibition Catalogue

Chartres Cathedral

Henry IV et la Cite

The White House

La Pont Des Arts

Pont Notre Dame

Pont Royal

Pool of London

Click Here to Return to the Home Page


© 2011 North Shore Historic Art