North Shore Historic Art
Henrietta Hancock Britton (1873-1963)
Henrietta Britton was born in London, England and was brought to Toronto as an infant. She studied She graduated from the Central Ontario School of Art in 1881. She then studied privately under William Cruickshank. She was an active member of the Toronto Art Students' League and in 1896, served as Treasurer. In 1901 she studied abroad at various galleries. From 1898 to 1906 she was an art teacher at the private girls college Bishop Strachan in Toronto. From 1906 to 1911 she was Director of Art at the Brandon College in Manitoba. She then returned to England to study in St. Ives from 1911-1912 with her future husband, Harry Britton. The couple returned to Canada in 1914. During this time, she traveled, painted and exhibited extensively with her husband. She sang in the acclaimed Mendelssohn Choir in her younger years. She lived in Nova Scotia from 1925 to 1937, and painted extensively here as well as in New Brunswick. She exhibited regularly at the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, as well as the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Canadian National Exhibition. Her works are in countless collections around the world.
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
© 2011 North Shore Historic Art