North Shore Historic Art
Henry George Glyde RCA (1906-1998)
Henry George Glyde was born in England and first studied art at the Brassey Institute of Arts and Sciences at Hastings from 1920-1926 and the Royal College of Art from 1926 to 1930. From 1958 to 1959, he travelled and studied in Italy, France, Belgium and London. He taught at the Croydon School of Arts and Crafts from 1929-1931 and also taught at the Borough Polytechnic from 1929-1935 and the Wycombe School of Art from 1931-1935. He came to Canada in 1935 to become the head of the department of Fine Arts at the Institute of Technology and Art in Calgary, and held that position until 1946 when he was appointed head of fine arts at the University of Calgary, where he remained until his retirement in 1966. in October, 1943, Glyde and Group of Seven member A.Y. Jackson were commissioned by the National Gallery of Canada to paint the Alaska Highway, and three of Glyde's sketches were included in Canadian Art magazine from February/March 1944. He was appointed head of the Banff School of Fine Art in 1937. He was elected a member of the Royal Canadian Academy as well as the Alberta Society of Artists (served as President 1945), the Federation of Canadian Artists (served as President 1954) and the Canadian Arts Council. His paintings are in the permanent collection of the National Gallery of Canada, the Edmonton Art Gallery and others.
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
© 2011 North Shore Historic Art