North Shore Historic Art
Manly Edward MacDonald RCA OSA (1889-1971)
Manly MacDonald was born in Point Anne, Ontario and first studied art at the Albright Art School in Buffalo, New York. Here he studied under Ernest Fosbery in 1910, followed by William Paxton and Phillip Hale from 1912-1913 at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts School. In 1914, MacDonald returned to Canada and began study at the Ontario College of Art, under the guidance of J.W. Beatty. In 1918 he was awarded the Royal Canadian Travelling Scholarship and was also commissioned by the Canadian War Memorials to paint scenes of women gathering food in the fields. This was the year that he was elected to the Ontario Society of Artists as well as an associate of the Royal Canadian Academy and began exhibiting regularly at their annual exhibitions. His paintings were selected to be shown at Wembley, England in 1924-1925 and the New York World's Fair in 1939. He was represented by Laing Gallery in Toronto. In 1959 he was commissioned to paint the Toronto skyline and the finished canvas was presented to Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, during her visit to Toronto. Also this year, his paintings were selected to be included in the Hallmark "Painters of Canada" series, and were reproduced on greeting cards. He was a founding member of the Ontario Institute of Painters in 1958. There are three of his paintings at the National Gallery of Canada and has paintings in the permanent collections of the Art Gallery of Ontario, Queen's University Art Collection, the London Art Museum, Upper Canada Village and countless private collections around the world.
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
© 2011 North Shore Historic Art