North Shore Historic Art
Thomas Garland Greene OSA PCSPWC (1875-1955)
Thomas Garland Greene was born in Toronto. He first studied art at the Central Ontario School of Art under William Cruickshank in 1898 and also worked at a printer's shop for seven years. He travelled to London, England in 1902 and studied at the Westminster School of Art under Mouat Loudan and also at the Finsbury Art School under Gilbert Bayes. In London, he was a co-founder of Carlton Studios, along with Archibald Martin, Norman Price and William Wallace. Upon returning to Canada in 1904, he stayed for a time in London, Ontario and worked at an advertising agency. In 1907 he was living in New York. From 1915-1925 he taught at the Ontario Ladies College in Whitby, Ontario. He also taught at St. Andrew's College and the Northern Vocational School in Toronto. He was a founding member of the Canadian Society of Painters in Watercolour in 1926 and served as President there in 1929. He was also a founding member of the Canadian Society of Graphic Art and served as President from 1931-1933. He was a member of the Arts and Letters Club (1915) and the Mahlstick Club (1915). He exhibited at the Royal Canadian Academy from 1914-1932 and the Ontario Society of Artists. He taught and lectured in Chicago from 1933-1937. He taught children's sculpture classes from 1938-1940. In 1942 he was commissioned by the Encyclopedia Britannica Junior to write the entry on "Painting". His works are in the collections of the National Gallery of Canada, the Art Gallery of Ontario, Hart House at the University of Toronto, the Ontario Government Collection in Toronto and the Saskatoon Collegiate Institute. In 1935 he moved to Hawkestone on Lake Simcoe and died in Orillia, Ontario.
Click Here to Return to the Home Page
© 2011 North Shore Historic Art